BLT? BAT, please.

Nowadays, I find myself cooking for two. I love cooking for other people, so I cook even more often. These last few years of zoning in on real food has cleansed my palate and helped rewire my brain and taste buds. My body is much more sensitive to processed/fake food and my mouth, or stomach, can tell pretty much right away when something doesn't agree with my body.

As a cook, it's not always easy for me to plan meals too far ahead. Oftentimes, I have cravings and I need to heed those. I do believe that the human body, in its natural state, knows what it needs and will ask for it. We are animals, after all. I think there are many reasons why people are out of tune with their bodies - not everyone should follow their cravings. I like to think that I'm in tune with my body. If I have a craving for a pork chop, my body may need protein (one 6-oz serving of a pork chop gives you almost 1/3 of the daily recommended protein); if I crave brocooli, my body may need vitamin C (one serving, about 90 grams, gives you 135% of your daily recommended dose of vitamin C). I eat when I am hungry and only then. This means that I usually eat five times a day.

The other day, I had a craving for bacon. And avocado. So I decided to eschew the traditional BLT and make a bacon, avocado and tomato sandwich for dinner. It turned out to be the perfect meal on a lovely summer day. I hope you will enjoy it, too!

For two sandwiches:

Ingredients
1 avocado
1 medium tomato
6-8 slices of bacon (depending on how much bacon you want)
4 slices of bread
condiments of your choice

Directions
1. Slice up the avocado and tomato so that everything is ready to go once the bacon is ready.
2. Cook the bacon your preferred method (instructions for pan or microwave cooking are usually on the package).
3. When the bacon is done, or just before, toast the bread.
4. Once the bacon is cooked and the bread has been toasted, spread the bread with your condiments of choice and layer on the bacon, avocado and tomato. DELICIOUS.



bat sand
{ not the best lighting... but it still found its way to my mouth }

No comments:

Post a Comment