Pan Fried Salmon

For me, salmon is like steak from the sea.  It’s a real treat, and I love how good it is for you.  I grew up eating it steamed with soy sauce, ginger and rice wine, but I’ve started getting into pan frying it.  Although it means a little more work, the result is worth it because of the delicious, crispy skin.  Oh my goodness.  I love brushing the skin with olive oil, salt and pepper, and crisping it in the pan.  It is the best!  

A lot of U.S. Americans I know take the skin off and I’m constantly surprised by this.  I remember the first time I served salmon at a dinner party – a friend asked me if he could eat the skin and I said, “Yes, of course!”  You just have to make sure you scale it before you cook it.  There is nothing wrong with eating the skin!  Someone once told me that I shouldn’t eat it because of mercury… but I have been eating it all my life and have always gotten a clean bill of health (knock on wood).  Many cultures all over the world eat fish skin and they’re fine.  So there.  Be a good boy or girl and eat the skin.  Throwing it out is like throwing out bacon – don’t do it! 

So how do you scale fish?  It’s quite simple.  Just take a knife and scrape the skin at a sharp, less than 45 degree angle.  See the pictures below.  In the picture on the right, you can see the difference between de-scaled skin, and scaly skin.  The skin right under/around my thumb is shiny because the scales are still attached.  Right next to the shiny part is a darker part – that has been de-scaled. 

20102

Serves 3 to 4.

Fullscreen capture 712010 105804 AM.bmp
20103 



1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I love Salmon! Hope you are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete