Sesame Crackers

IMG_1597 Nom nom nom!

I couldn’t sleep the other night after reading Julia Child’s memoir, My Life in France.  The book is absolutely fantastic, and I recommend it whole-heartedly to everyone.  The only thing is, after I finished reading, I felt inspired, not sleepy!  

I surrendered to my insomnia, grabbed a sweet nectarine from the kitchen, and plopped down on the couch with Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything.  

I love reading cookbooks – they are as interesting to me as any fiction novel or non-fiction book.  I randomly picked a page and, after wandering through cow, lamb, pig, squid, lobster, I entered the land of baking.  Guess what I found.


A recipe for crackers!!!

Oh my goodness.  I haven’t had crackers in so long.  Most of the crackers I find in supermarkets are loaded with un-pronounceable ingredients.  I’ve started classifying them, personally, as junk food.  I’m not an extremist, but eating whole foods/real foods is a pleasure for me, and I don’t see the point of eating if it doesn’t bring me pleasure.  Bacon?  Hell yeah!  I know where that came from (see pig).  Weird chemicals people manufactured in a lab, stuffed into food-like substances?  Not that enticing.

Back to the crackers recipe – exciting!  It looked so easy.  And according to the recipe, it only took ten minutes in the oven.  

Well!  That’s not too time consuming at all.  Perfect!  I followed the recipe and thought the crackers were good, but I wasn’t totally satisfied.  I tweaked the recipe and made a second batch.  Then I tweaked the recipe more and made a third batch.  Three days in a row, I made crackers.  I gave a small group of taste testers crackers from the third batch and, based on their suggestions, this is my “final” recipe:

Fullscreen capture 962010 83544 PM.bmp 
I’ve been thinking lately… almost all of the processed food we find in stores was at one time or another made by someone’s hands.  While I love technology and progress, I’m interested more and more in making my own food, and feeding the people I love from my own kitchen.  I hope Mr. Bittman inspires you to try making your own crackers, as he inspired me.

2010-09-03 Batch No. 1

2010-09-031 Batch No. 2

2010-09-032
Batch No. 3

2 comments: