So Easy My Fiancé Can Make It Mac ‘n’ Cheese

IMG_2494


I’m studying to take the bar exam. 

Among other things, this means I have less time to cook.  My awesome partner-in-crime has taken over the kitchen, for which I’ve been grateful.  Sometimes things go awry, but for the most part, it’s been an interesting culinary adventure. 

While I consider myself a “lazy cook” (my eyes glaze over when there are lots of instructions or ingredients), his patience in the kitchen is even shorter.  He can work out for five hours, I kid you not; but put a frying pan in his hand, and his eyes glaze over.

With that in mind, we’ve simplified what we eat while still trying to eat real food.  Possibly the greatest result of this adventure is that he’s picking up on cooking logic!  While making this dish, he made a suggestion based on eyeballing the ingredients together, and it turned out he was right.  I was very, very proud.

Every Sunday, I usually make a lot of food to get us through the week.  Homemade leftovers are perfect for packed lunches and evenings when you are too tired or busy to cook.  This is a perfect “Sunday” recipe.  It’s tasty, there’s a lot of it, and it’s so easy my fiancé can make it!    

I’d like to dedicate this recipe to all my friends who are also studying for the bar.  This baked mac ‘n’ cheese recipe is ridiculously easy to make and – surprise! – there are vegetables in it to kick up the “good for you” quotient.  Best of all, it tastes so good.  It has that perfect, creamy texture you hope for in a mac ‘n’ cheese, with the added yumminess of a toasted cheese top. 

Recipe
1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
8 oz. shredded cheddar 
8 oz. shredded mozzarella (set aside 1/2 for topping)
8 oz. plain yogurt
16 oz. frozen vegetables (I used the carrot/peas/corn mix) – his awesome idea to double the amount of vegetables
Salt (to taste)*


Preheat oven to 350°F.
(1)  Follow the pasta box’s instructions and cook pasta to al dente.
(2)  Thoroughly mix everything together in a big bowl
(including the frozen veggies).
(3)  Put the mac 'n' cheese in a 9x13 glass casserole dish, then top with the rest of the mozzarella.
(3)  Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. 


That’s it!  You can easily double this recipe since the portions sold are usually twice the amount needed here.


*A note on “to taste.”  I’d try ≈ 1/4 tablespoon of salt.  It’s always better to under season than over season because you can add more salt if needed, but you can’t take it away.  I also prefer to pour the salt into my palm and use my fingers to sprinkle it in.  This gives you more control as you can actually see how much salt you’re putting into a dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment