Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies with Almonds

IMG_2702

I was really bored the other day and had a sudden hankering for chocolate chip cookies.  This is big news in my world.  I haven’t liked chocolate chip cookies in ten years.  I can hear your likely reaction now (how can that BE???), but it is what it is.  Most chocolate chip cookies are just gooey, sugary dough with pockets of hardened chocolate inside.  While that may sound great to some, I think it’s a sad excuse for a cookie.  The texture is all off (hard chips in goo? no thank you), and there is so much sugar that the chocolate doesn’t shine through at all. 

I went to the fridge to see what I had on hand and found a bag of chocolate and peanut butter chip morsels.  Score.  Chocolate + peanut butter = my favorite!  I'm also loving whole wheat flour and have been using it in every recipe calling for all-purpose flour.  I substitute it in a 1:1 ratio and do not increase or decrease anything else to "accommodate" the whole wheat flour.  Some sources say to increase the liquids, or only substitute up to 50% of the flour, but I haven't listened.  I've been happy with every product made this way and love the wheat flavor that comes through.  

The following recipe is adapted from the Nestle’s bag, and I’m thrilled with the results.  THRILLED.  These might very well be my new favorite cookie.  This recipe makes 50 cookies.  Have a tall glass of cold milk on hand! I enjoyed these cookies while nestled in with a good book and a cup of hot coffee

Recipe  
2 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of combined chocolate chips and peanut butter chips
1 cup of chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 375°.

(1)  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
(2)  Beat together butter (room temperature is best), brown sugar, and vanilla extract.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until creamy.  Gradually beat in the flour mixture.  Stir in morsels and nuts.
(3)  To make each cookie, roll 1 tablespoon of batter onto a ball and place each the ball an ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten each cookie before putting them into the oven (I like to use the bottom of a glass).  They will barely spread, so don’t worry about crowding.  Bake for 9-11 minutes and then allow to cool.  Or enjoy a treat and sneak one in while they’re warm – they’re oh so good that way!


*Tip from my sister: if you want a less crisp/crumbly cookie, you can try experimenting with the batter and adding one to two egg yolks.

No comments:

Post a Comment