Banana Cake

This is a very easy cake recipe requiring little finesse, time and attention. I loves it.

Ingredients
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs (preferably room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 medium bananas - ripe (with brown spots), frozen, thawed, and coarsely mashed

A note on bananas... I always freeze the bananas when they're ripe (they'll have brown spots) and thaw them the day that I'm ready to bake. When I set the bananas out, I also set out the eggs. The bananas won't be pretty and will turn black due to oxidization, but don't worry - that's normal.

Bananas - Before and After


Photobucket Photobucket


A note on flour... for a long time, I wasn't sure as to how to measure flour - do I pack it to get as much as possible? The answer is no. I learned from King Arthur Flour Company that you shouldn't pack flour when measuring. A good way to ensure that you get the proper amount is to scoop flour into your cup and shake so that the flour stays fluffy and loose. Scrape off the top with a flat edge so that it's flat.

Now, for the baking!

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter a 9x13 glass pan and lightly coat with flour (this ensures that the bottom of the cake doesn't stick to the pan).
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Whisk together vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract - add and whisk into flour mixture.
5. Mash and then thoroughly stir in bananas.
6. Pour batter into the 9x13 glass pan and put it into the oven.
7. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Check doneness by sticking a toothpick or knife into the cake. If it comes out with any wet batter on it, put it back into the oven for a few minutes.

Cake - Before (as batter) and After (as delicious treat to put in your tummy!)


Photobucket Photobucket


Allow the cake to cool. You always see recipes saying this and it's for good reason. The goods need to set. But I have to be honest with you. I often can't wait and this time was no exception. I cut into the cake while it was still warm and I was happily rewarded. Heaven! I love fresh out of the oven baked goods. Very little can beat that. :)

2 comments: